Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day Happenings

Yesterday morning me and 5 other lovely RS sisters went to the Temple at 4:20 am. There were a few of us who got a little lost and well, lets just say it didn't go quite as smooth as it normally does for us. I am sure the Temple Workers thought I should get more sleep and come better prepared next time. On our way home we drove by our voting venue just to see if the line was not too bad yet so we could run in and vote - wrong the line was from the gym of the school, down the hall, and out the door. We all had kids to get home to and get off to school so we knew this was not going to work for us.

Later, after everyone was off to school and I had started my project for the day of putting away 2200 pounds of food storage that was delivered to our door a little while ago. I remembered I needed to go vote. I drove to what I thought was my voting location but after waiting in line with a 3 year old was told that I was at the wrong district. I was given instructions of where to go and went there next. Again, I waited in line and when it was my turn I was not on their list either - o.k. this was now becoming a pain. However, the nice volunteer (who I am sure could tell I was a little frustrated) directed me over to a different table called Provisional Voting. I filled out paperwork and did get to vote with a nice black pen and paper - no fancy electronics for me! I went to put my ballot in what looked like a red laptop case. Somehow I did not see the "slit" and proceeded to unzip the case. The enthusiastic volunteer about took my hand off. Now I was humiliated. I apologized profusely and tried to get out of there as quickly as I could without making eye contact with anyone. I was so embarrassed. When I finally got home some of my kids were home from school already. They asked me if I had voted I said yes but they pointed out that I didn't get a sticker so I must not have voted. I was sure I didn't get a sticker due to the fact that I caused such trouble while voting. The phone rang and it was the lovely volunteer from the provisional voting table - she apologized if she had embarrassed me (IF! - I am not sure there is anyone who would not have been embarrassed, well maybe if they had not woke up at 3:45 am they would not be tired and maybe not as embarrassed but I don't know) She then told me that in the commotion she had forgotten to have me sign some paper and could I please come down and sign it right away. So yes I got to go back to the voting venue once again. I signed her paperwork but still no sticker. After reading my friend Nicole's blog, I realize that maybe my vote doesn't count and that is really a shame after spending so much time at trying to vote - maybe my kids were right - no sticker, no vote.

So needless to say today I am hoping to get the food storage ALL put away: my sweet boys and one of their friends at least got it down the stairs for me:

Thanks Boys!

6 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

She forgot to have me sign the paper thingy too! Luckily, I was still there voting on my loser-non-electronic-fill-in-the-bubble-form. I don't know for sure if it didn't count..but Jeff and my dad both seem to think it won't be counted for like 8 weeks or something crazy like that. Lame!

One Sassy Mama said...

PS I blame any shenanigan that happened yesterday on the fact that we were up so stinkin' early! The temple trip alone was the biggest bunch of shenanigans ever!

Jueneta said...

I couldn't believe how empty our polling place was and the nice sweet ladies asked me if I wanted a sticker. We had to put mini credit cards in our computers and I first put it in too quickly so I had an initial error but nothing like you.

Way to go on the food storage . . . we definitely need to get more as we only have 79% completed.

Opera Diva said...

Wow-what a woman---you did it all---the Temple, Voting, Food storage, etc.---amongst persecution! And you manage to look like a movie star in your cute, cute family pictures---and I don't believe a word of your 'stretching photo' explanation! You are beautiful! And an amazing Mom, RS president, wife, sister, friend, and imposter-voter! You'll have to come to Mink Creek next time to vote---no line, stickers (coveted by all of the kids under 7 in my family), and treats! It took all of 3 minutes--of course, I think Idaho is the only one that had a candidate on the ballot that had their name legally changed from whatever it was to "Pro-life"--- kinda scary! iMPRESSIVE FOOD STORAGE! I'm coming to your house if the end of the world strikes soon!

GrandMaMa said...

Wow! I'm so impressed. The family picture is fabulous! I want one...please. I actually stood in line for about 35 min to vote and was impressed at all the young families there to vote! But going to the temple, putting away food storage and everything else you do...wow I's so proud to say..."hey...I born her!" but I sure couldn't say "I taught her all she knows". You are beautiful honey! I love you

Jueneta said...

I love your new layout it is awesome. Your new family picture is perfect.