I don't know what it is about Ry-Guy but he always seems to come up with some kind of illness that would prevent him from going to school. This illness usually arrives on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (funny thing, those are the mornings Leon has off of work and is usually home - same thing happens on Saturday night in an attempt to stay home from church).
Ry does very well in school, is very social, and always needs to have a few friends around. Sitting home in front of the TV really is not his thing. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe it's that he is just so intense about everything he does that occasionally he needs a "break." However, I think he thinks I was born yesterday! But I have been onto his "game" for quite some time. Now I confess, I do give in occasionally just to give him a break and then I can use "well you stayed home from school last week so nice try but not this week" statement.
This year though, I have really tried to help him break his mysterious illness issue by enforcing that he attend school unless he has certain "symptoms" i.e. fever, vomiting (that I actually have to witness) - One of his classics is to go in the bathroom, lock the door, and make horrendous vomiting noises, come out of the bathroom and tell us he vomited everywhere but that he cleaned it up ---- right, thus the "witnessing" of the vomiting.
This morning, he was really on his "game." I called the boys up for breakfast, they slowly arrived in the kitchen one by one. Ry's face was pretty red and the usual Tuesday morning "I don't feel good" commenced. I felt his forehead, and he was right, pretty darn warm. I said, "sit down and eat breakfast and we will see how you feel after that" Interestingly enough, I noticed while he ate that his face became less and less red. He must have noticed me studying his face, he stood up, stated he needed to use the bathroom and he would be right back. He returned a few minutes later with his face pretty red again, and said "Mom I really feel sick, can you feel my forehead." I placed my hand on his forehead and sure enough it felt HOT! "Ry, lift up your arms" I said. I felt his skinny little underarms and just as I expected - normal temperature. "So Ry, how did that air vent on your face feel in the bathroom?" A tiny (and I mean tiny) little smile appeared in the corner of his mouth - one would miss it if they did not know this kid well. Of course, I had to go into my "Honesty and Integrity" speech. Then we all had to hurry so no one would be late for school! Nice try Ry-Guy but your Mom was not born yesterday!






4 comments:
That is really funny! I will have to remember that one in a few years.
Crazy! Has he watched Ferris Bueller or Lizzie McGuire lately? TV teaches us so much as well.
Well..if he's going to stay home how about a few hours "at the piano"? We could have him playing like Paderewski in no time at all...just a suggestion. Actually, it's kind of sad. He's such a darling, well adjusted kid...I wonder what this is all about...but you've got to give him an "A" for creativity....
Wow, he's good! Fake fevers and vomiting! I will heave to beware as Seth is on that path but hasn't quite matured full force like Ryan has. I remember when Katie was around 7 or 8 she had a mysterious illness all of the time. However, she truly thought she was ill and I noticed it seemed to make her feel better if she had a specific diagnosis. She would say, "What do you think is wrong with me mom?". Well it got really old and I was done with her always thinking she was ill. Finally I came upon a cure. I gave her that diagnosis she so needed. I sat her down and said "Katie, I need to talk with you. You really do have something wrong with you. It is called "Hypochondria". I explained in terms she could understand and that seemed to do the trick. She proudly told classmates and teachers and whoever of her "illness" and that was the end of that as she became well. I may not get the parenting award of the year for that one but hey, it worked when nothing else had! I still remember my pediatrician's face when I fessed up to her miraculous cure.
Post a Comment