Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why I should not be a furniture refinisher

This last week I thought I would take on the task of trying to refinish a bed for the Nickster. There is a gal in my ward that is extremely talented at this and her whole home is a showcase of furniture and accesories that she has refinished or made - I thought I could at least do one little bed. I spent hours sanding off years of paint (this was the bed I had as a child). I sanded and sanded, painted, sanded and stained and I thought the bed turned out pretty good - I was quite proud of myself for taking on this task that was not easy for me. However not everyone was happy about my projecting - I got complaints that I was making a mess in the garage - (Has anyone seen our garage?) definatly not winning any clean garage award -
Geez!
I got complaints that it would be less expensive to just go out and buy a bed -
Really Geez!
Next time I have any hairbrain ideas that I could be like PJ (the gal in my ward) and actually save us a little money by taking on such a project someone please stop me! - Remind me that I could go to work for a couple of shifts and I could go buy the Nickster a new bed and have money left over for a few extra large diet cokes at McDonalds - now that sounds more like my kind of project!

3 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

You need to post pictures of your makeover--then everyone will compliment your famousness --and your Hubby will be so proud--heehee.

Opera Diva said...

C'mon we want to see it---you're just teasing us! I hear you on the 'project' comments from 'family members'. Don't you sometimes wonder 'why try' and be a little thrifty? I would love to hear your tips though---I'm eyeing the piano and wondering if I should try and reclaim it's 'pre-children' beauty or let it die a more peaceful death--either way could be scary!

Jueneta said...

Hey great effort though. I too would love to see the pics.

By the way I have a spare headboard that you can have.